Published on December 11th, 2015 | by admin0
Costa Rican delicious snack
If you visit the country, you can´t leave without eating this famous and delicious plate. Chifrijo is a dish commonly found in our restaurants and bars.
It is a combination of rice, beans, meat and chimichurri, a tomato-based salad with lime juice.
All together, these three ingredients make for a well-balanced dish that is filling. The meat is usually chicharrones, fried pork meat or pork skins. The following recipe has enough ingredients for making 8 servings.
-4 cups of cooked, savory rice
-1/2 tablespoon of garlic powder
-1/2 cup of chopped red pepper
-6 chicken boullion cubes
-24 ounces of cooked white beans
-1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
-2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped fine
-2 cups of cooked meat or sausage- pork, chicken or beef, chopped into chunks
-2 mediium onions, chopped fine
-2 large tomatoes, chopped fine
-1/3 cup of cilantro, chopped fine
-2 -3 juicy limes
-salt to taste
-1 medium bag of plain, salted tortilla chips
-2 limes sliced in quarters
- Cook the rice, using 3 chicken bullion cubes for flavoring and adding 1/2 cup of fried chopped onions and 1/2 cup of chopped sweet red pepper plus 1/2 tablespoon of garlic powder.
- Cook the beans with 1/2 cup of chopped onion plus 3 bullion cubes, 1 tablespoon of cumin powder, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper and 2 garlic clov
- Cook the meat, removing any excess fat. (Use barbequed meat for the extra flavor)
- Prepare the chimichurri by adding together the remainder of the chopped onions, tomatoes, cilantro and lime juice from 2-3 limes. Add salt to taste. Some people add a tablespoon of olive oil, but it isn’t necessary.
- In each serving bowl, add 1/2 cup of rice on the bottom and then 1/2 cup of the beans plus some of the bean stock. Add some meat and then layer the top with the chimichurri. Garnish with a quarter of a lime, a sprig of cilantro and the tortilla chips. You can line the inside of the bowl with the chips for an authentic Costa Rican touch.
Information from: costaricacooking.com